Books

Books
Books written by Ray Sullivan

Monday 26 November 2012

Parallel Lives Chapter 24


Jack slammed the phone down into its cradle with a force that caused Karen to jump and spill the milk she was pouring onto her cereal.
‘Bastards,’ he exclaimed, ‘they won’t tell you a thing. I have to let them know all about me; if they phone the works and ask the most outrageous questions they get all the information on me they want, no questions asked. My name, age, inside leg measurement, home phone number – you name it.’
‘Who would know your inside leg measurement? Not that new receptionist, I hope,’ quipped Karen, trying to diffuse his anger. It didn’t work.
‘All I wanted was to know how to contact Jackson, not his flaming medical history. They won’t confirm whether John is still a patient, suggesting “I call the main administration department after nine o’clock,”’ he mimicked. ‘If I had the time today, I’d call in myself and ask the bastard exactly what he thinks he’s playing at.’ Jack looked at his watch, shook his head and took a desperate swig of his tea. ‘I wouldn’t mind, but how am I to know how long I need to feed that cat of his for.’ Karen looked up questioningly. ‘I know, I know, its not important, not on its own, its just so flaming ignorant.’ Jack pulled his jacket from the back of the kitchen chair, stuffed his car keys into his mouth while he struggled to get his arms in and looked around desperately for his wallet. Picking it up he kissed Karen and the kids and made to leave, his hand on the handle when she spoke:
‘I’ll go and see him. The doctor I mean, not the cat.’ Jack looked startled.
‘I thought you said we shouldn’t get involved,’ he said.
‘I still think that, but its too late in many ways. We are involved. Anyway, you’ve got enough on your plate and I’m at a loose end today. I’ll drive you to work, pop into mum’s on the way back for a cuppa and then see if I get any joy from the hospital. At least I won’t have as an abrasive manner as you, that tends to get results you know,’ Karen stated with a hint of sarcasm. Jack considered the offer for a moment before deciding it could be a good idea, if only to keep his blood pressure in check.
‘OK, but any problems phone me, I’m on my mobile.’
‘And I’ll have the car, so I’d be better off calling anybody other than you,’ retorted Karen. Jack, realising she was in one of her mischievous moods, nodded and threw her the car keys.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Copyright Ray Sullivan 2011


The characters, places and events described in this novel are fictitious and any resemblance to persons, places or events, past or present, is coincidence.  All rights reserved

Parallel Lives is published in paperback and as an eBook


I can be followed on Twitter too - @RayASullivan
or on Facebook - use raysullivan.novels@yahoo.com to find me


Why not take a look at my books and read up on my Biog here

Want to see what B L O'Feld is up to?  Take a look at his website here

Worried/Interested in the secretive world of DLFs?  Take a look at this website dedicated to DLFs here, if you dare!

No comments:

Post a Comment