Books

Books
Books written by Ray Sullivan

Sunday 15 March 2020

Self Isolating my books in Amazon

Some years ago I railed, often ad nauseum, about how wrong KDP select was.  Before I continue this post I'll say up front that I haven't substantively changed my mind.  While the concept of Kindle unlimited and allowing Amazon Prime members access to read  for free is a brilliant marketing strategy, I just don't believe Amazon have to insist on exclusivity for the service.  I think there's enough space for Amazon, Smashwords, Apple, Barnes and Noble and Kobo.

So a long time ago I ranted, several times, on these pages about the model and said I wouldn't enlist in KDP Select.  Of course Amazon are in this for the long game and gradually I've seen my exposure on Amazon dwindle to the point where I sometimes find it difficult to find my own books, and my sales via the other channels has become a little on the rare side.

So a little while back I quietly listed Hotel California on KDP Select.  I did this with a heavy heart as I don't agree with the exclusivity concept, but like King Cnut I'm unable to order the tide to pull out.  I've just listed two other titles - Digital Life Form and Skin - on the programme and I'm going to evaluate how it goes.  For those of you who prefer to shop in non-Amazon shops there are six other titles listed there, but I can't say for how long.

If you are a Kindle Unlimited or Amazon Prime member and find yourself needing to self isolate from Covid 19 and want to lose a few hours inside a book or three, why not look up one or more of these.  For you guys it is free - for me, I'm waiting to find out if it is worth the admittedly small effort of listing the books but I'll give it a try.  If it looks like it is worth going down the exclusive route then I guess I'll self isolate with Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment